St. Charles Adoption Attorneys
What are the Requirements to Adopt a child in Missouri?
The adoption process is regulated by state laws that include several requirements
for adults seeking to adopt a child domestically or internationally. These
requirements involve child consent, home and residency regulations, and
placement of a child based on compatibility. An experienced and knowledgeableSt. Charles County family lawand adoption attorney from our firm educates each prospective adoptive
parent on the adoption process timeline as well as what to expect from
the adoption agencies, birth parents, etc.
Missouri adoption laws state that a married or unmarried adult is eligible
to adopt a child if he or she:
- Is over the age of 21
- Is in good mental and physical health
- Has a stable income in order to be able to adequately provide for a child
- Lives in an approved house, apartment, etc.
- Passes a criminal record background check, fingerprint scan and child abuse
- Completes a mandatory training and assessment process
- Completes a 6-month home residency period
Share the details of your situation with our
St. Charles County family law attorneys in a
free case evaluation!