After a car accident, you will no doubt be flustered and unsure how to proceed. Here are some steps you should take after a collision.
- See a doctor. As soon as possible, head to a hospital or urgent care facility for medical care. Even if you think you are uninjured, you could be suffering from soft tissue injuries like whiplash that will become painful or dangerous later. Additionally, if you want to get fair compensation from your insurance company or another party for your injuries, you will need thorough and prompt documentation of any injuries you sustained.
- Do not admit fault or apologize. You may think you know for certain that you caused the accident, but you did not see the events from an objective angle, so you could be mistaken. Admitting fault or apologizing at the scene of the accident will make it difficult to receive compensation for your injuries later. To protect yourself, don’t say anything that could indicate fault.
- Get information about the other driver. To facilitate the process of filing insurance claims, you and the other driver should exchange names, addresses, driver’s license numbers, phone numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information. If possible, obtain contact information for witnesses, as well.
- Take pictures. If you have a camera, be sure to take a few photos of the scene of the accident, the damage to the vehicles, and any visible injuries you have. These pictures will be clear, persuasive evidence of the damages that occurred.
- Consult an attorney. If you think you may have grounds for a lawsuit because the other driver was negligent, or if your insurance company is refusing to pay for your medical expenses, schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you advocate for your rights.
In the St. Louis area, Coyne Cundiff & Hillemann can help you obtain financial compensation for damages caused by auto accidents. To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, call (636) 561-5599 today.